One Pot Spiced Lamb with Sour Cherries and Dates
This is a dish that is sure to please young and old. It is a slowly cooked dish that enjoys the tart sweetness or sour cherries and dates married with beautiful fragrant spices such as cumin cinnamon paprika and cardamom.
2 Onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or roasted)
2 tablespoons Herbies Tagine spice ( or other Middle Eastern spice combo)
1 kg lamb shoulder or lamb neck meat chopped into large pieces
3 large tomatoes
1 eggplant, chopped
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
100g dates, chopped
½ cup dried sour cherries or cranberries
1 cup basmati rice
Mint, lemon wedges and thick yoghurt to serve.
1. Heat a little oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the onion , spice mix and garlic, cooking until soft and fragrant.
2. Turn the heat up and add the lamb, browning well, then add the tomatoes, eggplant, dates and cherries or cranberries with 1 litre of stock.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer on a medium to low heat for approx 3 hours or until meat is tender
4. Add the rice to the dish with more stock as required ( ie if lamb is becoming too dry whilst cooking rice add more stock as rice will absorb liquid).
5. Cook for a further 20 minutes with the lid on or until rice is tender and cooked.
Once done, fold all together with a large spoon and garnish with mint lemon wedges and yoghurt.