Lentil and Quinoa Salad with Marinated Carrot Raisin and Fetta
This salad is the perfect accompaniment to barbequed meat or seafood. It can be made well ahead of time and improves over several hours.
1 cup French lentils (or 1 tin)
1 cup quinoa (mixed or plain)
½ cup Greek yoghurt
Juice and rind of one lemon
1 tsp roasted or crushed garlic
4 spring onions, chopped
Sea salt and pepper
4 carrots grated
1 tbsp roasted spice rub or roasted cumin
½ cup raisins or currants
20 ml Vercotto (optional, substitute with balsamic vinegar)
20 ml white wine or white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
100g Greek fetta or goat’s cheese
Handful mint leaves
- Bring a large saucepan of water or stock to the boil and add lentils, simmering for 20 minutes or until tender.
- In another saucepan place quinoa in with 2 cups cold water or stock and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes or until all water is absorbed, turn heat off and leave covered with lid for at least 10 minutes.
- Drain lentils and refresh under cold water, then in a large bowl combine with quinoa. Add chopped spring onions, yoghurt, lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt and pepper.
- For carrot salad combine carrot in another bowl with vinegar, Vercotto, currants or raisins, roasted spice rub and sugar. Allow to stand for at least one hour and season to taste.
- To serve, place lentils and quinoa in a serving bowl and top with carrot salad. Crumble over fetta and scatter over torn mint leaves.