Fragrant Kaffir Lime and Lemongrass Brown Rice and Lentils
This is an interestingly different rice dish and compliments well curries and other fragrant spicy meats or vegetables. It is possible to substitute other Middle Eastern or Moroccan Spices such as Baharat, Greek Seasoning or Ras El Hanout
1 ½ Cups Brown rice
½ cup French De Puy lentils ( or Brown , Green, or tinned)
1 onion, roasted whole at 180°until tender (30 mins approx)
Approx 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
4 Kaffir lime leaves, crushed
Outside fibrous leaves of lemongrass stalk
Pinenuts and spring onions to garnish
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry rice with garlic and ginger until slightly toasted.
- Add lentils, lemongrass and Kaffir lime leaves and pour over chicken stock, bring to the boil and then cover with a lid. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 45 minutes, covered with lid and continue to cook until all water has evaporated. If rice is not quite ‘al dente’ at this point add a little more hot stock or water and cook until rice and lentil are tender. Alternatively rice can be transferred to an oven proof ceramic dish and oven baked.
- Turn heat off , or remove from oven, fork through grains to separate and recover with lid. Allow to stand for 30 mins.
- Remove skin from onion and chop.
- To serve place rice in to a large serving bowl or on a platter, scatter over onion, pinenuts and spring onions. Serve either hot or at room temperature.